Monday, April 14, 2014

Say Something

“Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”- Deuteronomy 31:6

A Great Big World and Christina Aguilera have a hit song entitled “Say Something” that has caught my ear recently. I really enjoy the tune.

Here are some of the lyrics:
Say something, I’m giving up on you.
I’ll be the one, if you want me to.
Anywhere I would’ve followed you
Say something, I’m giving up on you.

From what I gather, this is a love song of some sort. I really enjoy the tune and the way the song sounds. Their voices mesh well.

Anyway, when I listened to the lyrics of the song I caught something interesting. This could be the love song of the creation with their Creator.

It’s interesting to think that the time frame between the Old Testament and the New Testament is considered the 400 years of silence. There was nothing being said or shown to the people of Israel by God and I am sure the people were probably saying the opening lines to this song on a regular basis.

Then, Christ comes into the picture with the purpose of redeeming and redefining the lives of the creation. They finally hear a voice, the voice of God in the flesh, calling for His people to turn their attention back to Him, just when they were giving up.

Fast forward 2000 years. Here we are. Some of us have embraced our role as His followers, willing to go anywhere to follow Him, and accepting our responsibility to be the one He has chosen to share His love and grace. 

However, we have experiences in life that make us wonder why God is silent. We say something like “God, I have chosen to follow you anywhere. I am willing to be the one who shares your word wherever you want me to. Yet, I need you now and I can’t hear you. I feel like giving up.”

His silence is deafening at times. It hurts. We wonder where He is. We cry out the words that are so beautifully shared by A Great Big World and Christina, “SAY SOMETHING, I’M GIVING UP ON YOU!” Even still, He stays silent.

Perhaps His silence is for our strengthening. Perhaps, He is testing our words. We say we are willing to follow Him anywhere, be the one He wants to use, but are we willing to do it even when He is silent? How quick will we give up?

The reality is, at times, God speaks loudest in the silence. We merely need to slow down to hear Him. “He will never leave us, nor forsake us”. We must trust His words.

He may be silent, but He is always saying something. We must never give up on Him and trust, that if we are the one He has chosen, then He will use us and take care of us until we are done here. That’s His love song to us!
A Great Big World and Christina Aguilera "Say Something" official video


No comments: