Wednesday, May 21, 2014

What's It Worth To Ya?


I want you to know how hard I am contending for you…and for all who have not met me personally. My goal is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely Christ…”- Col. 2: 1-2

I remember when I was young my older brother and I would play Hot Wheels cars with each other. We would choose the cars that looked the coolest to us and we would race them all over my grandma’s carpet. Those were some of the best times of my childhood.

I also remember when there were certain cars I wanted, especially the car that was shaped like a shark and had the engine popping out of the hood, my brother would make sure to pick it before I could get to it. I would then say something like, “Oh man! C’mon Steve I want that car!” His normal response would be “What’s it worth to ya?” Which normally meant one of a few things; I was either, taking out the trash, cleaning something he was supposed to, or not telling my grandma about something bad that he did.

I wanted that car so bad, I was willing to do anything for it. So, of course, I said “Ok” to whatever the request was.

I was reflecting on those times as a kid today and made me think of my relationship with Jesus. It is my relationship with Jesus, but I am called to share this relationship with others. I want other people to know the truth of Jesus and the hope I know in Him, but the question comes to mind, “What’s it worth to ya?”

Do I want it that bad? Do I want it bad enough that I am willing to do things I normally wouldn’t do or want to do? Am I willing to get dirty, step outside my comfort zone to serve, to love unconditionally, or be vulnerable for others to know how much I love them? Am I willing to share my life, walk openly, and speak boldly for Christ in such a way that risks friendships or relationships?

This is a heavy question that we as followers of Christ must ask ourselves daily, “What’s it worth to ya?” How much are you willing to risk for others to know and understand the message of Jesus? How much are you willing to sacrifice to serve the lost and the least? What’s it worth?

I know my answer. Do you know yours?

I hope we see the true value in the gospel we have come to accept, but I hope we know the value of living out the gospel as Jesus did and told His disciples to do. 


May we serve with love and share in grace the gospel which we have embraced. It’s worth it! 

No comments: