Friday, October 17, 2014

The Value of the Word

(Photo Courtesy: GraphicStock.com)

“Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord’ and do not do what I say?”-Luke 6:46

There are times in my life I recognize I don’t honor the words of the One I have chosen to follow. As a Christian I know there are needs of those around me that I don’t respond to or choose to ignore. I confess this fault. However, if we are honest, we all have this same confession.

I know that there are people who need someone to comfort them in time of loss or pain, but my desires overcome the desire to serve the way Christ served. I know there are people with financial needs that I could assist with, but my fear of future needs overtakes my knowledge of Christ’s teaching to give when I can give and not store up treasure on earth.  

It’s hard to confess these things, but they are true.

I strive to serve and love the way Christ calls me to serve and love, but I give in to my flesh, which leads me to failure.

Paul wrote, “So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God’s law;  but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me.  What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!” (Romans 7:21-25).

I thank God for these words from Paul! These are transparent words being shared by the man Christ used to bring the Gospel to the Gentile people! A man Christ felt was responsible and worthy enough to plant churches, to guide the leadership of those churches, and write letters which would end up as the majority of the New Testament! Yet, he gave in to his flesh and failed to follow the right direction at times.

I feel better!

Ok, this doesn’t mean I can keep going along in my fleshly desires and rest in my failure, but it does mean I can rest in Christ’s forgiveness.

I need to continue to strive to serve and love the way He calls me to. I need to listen to His Word and do what He teaches. However, when I fail to value His Word over my flesh; I need to remember I have been delivered “…through Jesus Christ our Lord!”

Amen!


Question: If you are honest, do you find yourself avoiding certain things that you know you should do?

No comments: