Monday, February 23, 2015

A Two Year Old’s Lesson In Bible Study-Part Two

(photo courtesy of: googleimages)

“In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God’s word all over again. You need milk, not solid food! Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.”- Heb. 5:12-14 (NIV)

I wasn’t planning on making this a two part experience, but it is interesting how things can be revealed to you while watching your kid. The reality is, if we truly focus and open our eyes, God can reveal His truths to us in and through our everyday life experience.

Oddly enough, this lesson is centered around my son’s eating habits…again. In my previous post (http://bobbybenavides.blogspot.com/2015/02/a-two-year-olds-lesson-in-bible-study.html) I mentioned the way my kid spits out the skin to his apple and was missing some nutrients, which brought a comparison to how we might read scripture incorrectly.

Today, I’m talking about his shoveling way too much food in at one time, causing a huge mess and him to gag and say “I’m done!”

When I give my son grapes, teddy grahams, cheese puffs, orange slices, tic-tacs…ok, not tic-tacs…but anything small enough that he can get a handful of, he tends to do just that. He grabs a handful, makes a “nom nom nom” sound in a growly sort of way, and proceeds to stuff them into his mouth! I cannot help but to laugh and sit in amazement. When done accomplishing the feat of cramming 15 grapes into his mouth, a slight exaggeration… it’s more like 12, he looks at me grinning with his cheeks puffed out. He is seriously adorable. Until…

“hack…cough…hack”, he spits out what’s left and says “I’m done!” Then, my response, “There’s no way you’re done. You need to slow down!” I’m not going to let my kid be a quitter! He normally wins and I  let him down.

Now, as adults or anyone over the age of 10 knows, we need to slow down when it comes to eating our food. We like to enjoy what we eat, so we savor the taste and enjoy it one bite at a time.
Perhaps this is how we should be looking at studying the Bible?

The Bible is amazing. There is so much to it that it can be overwhelming. However, when we take the time to read it and take it in, we can gain so much from it.

Unfortunately, many of us try to stuff the Bible into our brains and enjoy it at first, we might even look up to God with a grin thanking Him for such an awesome meal with cheeks puffed out, but then we get so overwhelmed and yell “I’m done!” I can only imagine God saying what I say to my son: “There’s no way you’re done! You just need to slow down!”

Studying the Bible might seem overwhelming. Some people take on the challenge of reading the Bible in a year, and some actually complete it. However, that requires reading several chapters and possibly missing out on important pieces because you’re so focused on getting the task done instead of taking in the actual message. That’s not a knock on reading the Bible in a year, but remember it’s not about the task of reading, but the discipline of studying.

As you read the Bible, aim to read it for all it is worth. Slow down. Take it all in. God has a message for everyone, but we need to be willing to take one bite at a time and savor the flavor of God’s glory within the pages of His holy scriptures to His creation.

May we all enjoy the taste of His wonderful message.

Next Post: 3 tools on studying the bible


QUESTION: Do you find joy in reading the Bible? Or is it a task?

No comments: