Monday, March 23, 2015

Why Where You Are Is Just As Important As Where You Are Going


“May he give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed.”- Psalm 20:4

We all have plans. We all have goals we want to achieve and, for most, will achieve at one point in time.

When I was in middle school I would set goals, I mean, I still set goals now, but I remember doing it back then too. Granted, I wasn’t participating in the best activities in middle school nor was I a “well-behaved” student, but I still made goals. 

I remember, one time, I was in some sort of chasing game with some friends. I made a goal to get away as quickly as I could because I didn't want to be caught, especially by the girls who were chasing me (I didn't realize at the time it would have been great to be caught by the girls, but that's another story).
Anyway, I was running as fast as I could with the eye on the prize...outside. I was so focused on the outside that I didn't see the screen door closed in front of my face. My eyes were on freedom, but my face was in the screen door, coming out of the frame and falling flat on my face. I had plenty of time to notice where I was and what was in front of me, but I was caught up in my plan to be out of the house. I was hurt, but it was a fun memory of looking like a cartoon character when I hit the door.

As we make our plans and set our goals it is important to remain focused. It is also important for us not to get so caught up in where we are going, that we forget where we are presently.

The future is going to be great, if we make it, but the present is even greater… if we live in it.
In all of our planning, saving, and/or daydreaming about the future we need to be careful not to miss out on the blessings or opportunities of today. The job positions offered today might be a spring into the career of the future. Our ministry opportunities might serve to be a great spring board to a position in the future. Any opportunity to serve might aid in you being served someday too.

The reality is our dreams are important, but our present reality is the first step to achieving the dreams.

Embrace today. Live the life you have been given to live today. Tomorrow might not happen, so seize today and do as much as you can with what you are given.

God has given all of us a life to live. We all know Jeremiah 29:11 “’For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.’”. This verse is used so often to encourage people stuck in hard times. This verse also causes people to look for the future and hope for God’s plans to come to fruition.  The issue is, His plans are unfolding on a regular basis and He wants us to be aware of His work now, not only in the future!

May our eyes be open to the opportunities of today. May our hearts be willing to serve as much as we can…today! May our life be lived for today in order to leave our mark for the future.

 That might enhance our ability to experience the life we are dreaming about and hoping for.


QUESTION: Do you set goals or future plans?

No comments: