Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Finding Peace in Our Flaws


“For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin. Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.”- Hebrews  4:15-16

Why do we beat ourselves up over our mistakes? This seems to be a common theme to a few of my posts, but seriously, why?

People, especially people in leadership, look at their flaws and feel like they are inadequate to lead, speak, teach, or __________(fill in the blank). Why?

Why do we feel like we have to be flawless to be in these roles? Do we put it on ourselves or do the people around us make us feel like we have to be a certain way? Or both?

Perhaps, it’s because we haven’t figured out that no matter how hard we try, we will never be adequate based on our own power. We need to recognize that without Christ, our flaws will eat away at us.


When I first stepped into ministry, I was almost 17. I had only been a Christian for 9 months and I was invited to help out in a middle school ministry. I was still flawed, still am, but I can honestly say my discipline level was lacking more at that age than now…unless I’m at a buffet, then I am a lot worse now.

Anyway, I was learning how to be a follower of Christ. I was learning how to stop under-age drinking and smoking marijuana, this is getting real, but it’s true. I was learning how to not use the F-word every other word. I was learning how to view women as more than physical objects and respect them as God’s creation. I was learning a lot.

I remember I had a set-back in my spiritual life. I was still in leadership, but I was feeling like I had no place in leading because of my mistakes. I went to my main leader and shared with her about my error in judgment and she expressed…grace.

She explained that I had to step back in my upfront leadership for a bit, but to realize that I was human. I could not and would not ever be the perfect person for the job because Christ already fulfilled that. However, I need to strive to be focused on Him and everything else will work itself out.

That meeting of grace helped me to understand a fundamental principal of following Jesus. It is not about us and all about HIM! He doesn’t want us to pursue perfection, but to pursue the perfect One. He does not want us to beat ourselves up over our unrighteous behavior because He already had it done for us!

The flawless One took what we deserved in order for us to receive peace in our flaws. We will make mistakes. We will be broken. Yet, we have a Savior who looks at us with nailed scarred hands saying, “Follow my lead and rest in my grace.”

As someone who claims to follow Christ, remember, no matter what role you are in you are representing Jesus. However, remember, no matter what mistakes you make in the process Jesus is representing you.

If you are not a follower of Christ, there is freedom from your flaws and it’s found in Jesus. Allow Him to lift you up and work in you. His heart is focused on you, not your mistakes.

May we find rest in the grace of Jesus in order to find peace in our flaws.


QUESTION: Have you experienced the rest found in Christ’s grace?

No comments: