Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Life In A Box


“'You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden.'"- Matt.5:13-14

My grandfather passed away at the end of June this year. It was hard to hear, especially when I am over 3,000 miles away. I found out while I was away with students at a concert in Mt. Union, PA.

My grandpa was a good man. He loved people and would do anything for anyone. I'm not just saying that to boost his legacy, but really mean it! I was able to go spend time with my grandma for a week after he passed. I met so many people and heard so many stories of my grandfather caring for others, taking the time to lend a hand, speaking honest words into the lives of those struggling with addiction, and much more. He was a hard-worker and loved his family. He will be missed by many.

My heart broke when I heard the news and made me think of this post from last year. My grandfather's life definitely isn't summed up in a shoe box. He has left a lasting influence in my life, my brother's life, and many, many more. May we be able to leave a mark that lasts beyond our time on this earth.

Peace and Blessings friends.... 
_________________________________________________________________________________
Original Post from February 2014....

What would people say about you when you die? In light of my most recent post, this is a question I have been asking myself. When I leave this earth, what will people remember me for? Will I leave behind something that will last or am I living a life that will end, people will be sad, but then after a couple of days, only a few that were close to me would still reflect on the life I lived with them?

I think we may have all asked ourselves this question. We may have all wondered "am I living a life worth living?"

I think this is an important question for us to ask as we live.

I was listening to a podcast the other day that referenced a story of a sister who committed suicide. As her loved ones were gathering her belongings, they realized that her life was placed in a shoebox.

A profound statement was made by the father "How sad. It shouldn't be this way. Her whole life summed up in a shoebox."

All I could do when I heard this, was think, "that isn't how it should be!" Our lives should leave so much more that it would be impossible to sum it up in a shoebox.

We are to be so connected, so interwoven with each other that we leave a mark somehow. As a follower of Christ, we are called to preserve and shed light in a world of darkness through Jesus.

If we are doing our job, then there should be no way a shoebox would keep us.

If I am doing my job, then my life will leave a void. It is not a prideful statement, it is a biblical statement. If I were to lose my life today, my hope is that I have made a mark on this world for Jesus that it would be missed.

Wherever you are called to be, whether in a factory making erasers or a CEO sitting on top of the world, your life should make a difference.

If we follow Christ, our role in this world is meant to lead people to Jesus. We need to constantly be asking ourselves, "Am I leading a life that leads to life" and "Am I living life in such a way, that when I leave this world, I will keep living!"


Make a mark so big in this world for Jesus, so that no shoebox could hold you!

Life In A Box was originally posted 2/19/14 on A Call To Reconcile (bobbybenavides.blogspot.com)

No comments: