Monday, March 14, 2016

Why Accountability Matters

(image courtesy: google images)

“Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.”-1 Corinthians 9:24-25 (NIV)

My wife bought me a Fitbit Surge for Christmas. I actually asked for it, she wasn’t dropping me hints…at least I don’t think so.

Anyway, the Fitbit is a pretty sweet piece of technology. It is a watch, pedometer, calorie burn calculator (I don’t know science), a sleep monitor, an alarm, it shows you text messages, and much more. I love it!

There’s an app you have to download to go with the watch, but when your watch syncs with the app, a magical world unfolds. Actually, it’s just a place to see what the monitors recorded throughout the day, but it is still a pretty amazing thing to see all this detail of how you slept and when you woke up in the middle of the night because you heard a door close outside.

One of the many reasons I like this device is its accountability. I mean, it is hard, but I have to put my calorie intake in to the app, daily. I have to track my water intake. I have to actually click the app to make the device sync. I have to put in effort to make sure that I am doing these things in order to achieve my goals.

I love going to the gym or on a nice run, but all too often I stop or skip days because I don’t have someone (besides my wife) saying “Hey! Get out there!” My watch doesn’t necessarily say those words, but it is sitting on my wrist as a constant reminder that I need to move or sync up. It vibrates to let me know I’m not moving enough or I have to get something done. It tells me my marks and whether or not I have hit them.

So well in fact, I have lost almost 20 lbs by being accountable to it.

This watch is what, I would hope, my brothers and sisters in Christ would be for me.

I want someone to be letting me know if I am not handling a situation in a Christ honoring way. I would want someone to tell me if I was doing something that was not demonstrating a lifestyle representative of Jesus.

However, I would also want someone to be celebrating my accomplishments with me (besides my wife). I would want someone walking with me and helping me recognize the victories I achieve through Christ. Not to brag or boast, but because I need a boost to continue going forward for Christ.

Accountability is a word we fear because we don’t want to be “called out”, but in all reality it helps us in all aspects of life. Accountability is not only focusing on the things we do wrong or need to improve, but also the good things we do.

My watch tells me when I ate too much, but it also tells me when I reached my step goal. It celebrates and gently reminds me of what I should be aspiring to do.

Should we not want the same from our brothers and sister in the faith?

I want celebration, but I want the gentle nudge telling me I can do better or I need to fix something for the glory of God.

May we see the value in being held accountable. May we find ourselves seeking people in our lives who will push us to be better in our Christian walk, but also celebrate with us when our lives are shifting towards a healthier Christian faith.

I will keep running to achieve the goal…who’s coming along to push and celebrate with me? I hope you will ask the same question.

Peace and blessings friends.


QUESTION: Do you have an accountability partner?

No comments: