Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Agendas



"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of The Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."- Colossians 3:17

I used to work for a non-profit that provided mission trip opportunities. Throughout the mission season, there would be significant changes that would occur and would throw off our schedule.

Sometimes, work groups would be working past their scheduled time to finish. Sometimes, leaders meetings would go too long. Sometimes, food wouldn't be ready on time. Sometimes, showers would run out of hot water or cold water. There were a lot of "sometimes..." events.

A key slogan came through the "sometimes..." events that has had an influence on my actions and the way I serve: "Blessed are the flexible, for they will not break."

I don't know if the person who said it was the first one to ever say it, but what a powerful way to think. You see, when our time and our schedule is flexible, then we are able to roll with the changes and quick turns that come about.

This slogan or phrase has a major influence on agenda as well. When we work on our own agenda, our lives are scheduled around our time. When we are focused on God's agenda, then we are willing to adjust and change because we know we have a God who moves us at will.

When we follow God, His schedule becomes the most important thing. We may have our lives planned out, but ultimately, when we are in tune with Him, our plan becomes His.

This makes it difficult for some who have control issues, right? This means we lose a lot of control and places our lives in God's hands. Our agenda is no longer "our" agenda. 

Why is it so difficult to let go of control? Why is it so hard to be flexible? If we are doing things for the glory of God and serving Him, then we should be willing to be flexible, right? If the idea is "How am I getting the glory?" or "Well, this is really running in to my time", then we lose the fact that God might have a bigger picture in store.

Let's face it, becoming flexible is hard work. I hate the stretching routines in every workout video or exercise I am about to partake in. It hurts. Why do I need to touch my toes, without bending my knees? How will that serve me in the long run? 

Well, that flexibility will allow me to reach higher, run faster,  avoid too much injury due to tight muscles, and help me dig deeper in my workout and not feel like I am about to tear something. 

This goes the same with our willingness to put ourselves aside and focus on God's time not our own. Our flexibility could open the door for deeper conversations or a deeper connection with other people. 

Most importantly, it will allow us to have a deeper connection with our Creator since we are following His schedule, which leads us to listen to Him more. 

Becoming flexible is painful in the  beginning, but as you stretch and move along the way, it becomes easier and easier to reach where God wants you to reach. That is when His agenda becomes easier to follow.

How can you become more flexible in your schedule to allow God to move you to where He needs you to be?

No comments: