Monday, May 5, 2014

Wisdom Gained

"This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words."- 1 Corinthians 2:13

Sometimes I feel like I have a hard time knowing or discerning the right decision from God. At times, I feel like I am in a battle between my own mind and the Spirit telling me where I should go, when I should speak, or how I should live.

At times, I think "Am I truly seeking the will of God? How can I truly know if I am thinking like He is thinking?"

I believe we all, if we are followers of Christ, have had this thought. How do we know for sure if we are thinking along the same lines as God or is that even possible?

Well, Paul shared in his letter to the Church in Corinth that it is possible to know what God is thinking, especially when it comes to the way our lives are lived. It takes patience and listening, but it is definitely attainable.

Paul shares "We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us." (1Cor. 2:12) Our minds are now open to understanding God completely due to the Spirit! This is quite possibly one of the coolest verses in Scripture (ok, before I get angry comments, all scripture is cool), but seriously this is really awesome!

Jesus didn't leave His disciples hanging when He went to heaven. He said in Acts that His disciples would receive power when the Holy Spirit came down upon them. The power He was speaking of was not some crazy lazer vision or super strength, but wisdom to speak truth and insight from our Creator!

When the Spirit came down a new door was opened. A new vision was given. Those who chose or choose to follow Jesus will be able to know God and what He is revealing to the world.

Our wisdom is gained when we allow the Spirit to teach and guide us in our works. Paul continued to say "The man without the Spirit does not accept things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned." (v.14)

The Spirit is where wisdom is gained. We don't earn it. It is not some prize at the bottom of a Cracker Jack Box, but something we gain by listening, praying, and seeking after God's message. Then, as we gain that wisdom, we share it and live it, since now "we have the mind of Christ" (v. 16).

May we live by the Spirit and seek the wisdom only He can provide. 


No comments: