Wednesday, February 3, 2016

So, What's Next?

We had to dress for the occasion! 
“As Jesus walked beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. ‘Come, follow me,’ Jesus said, ‘and I will send you out to fish for people.’ At once they left their nets and followed him.”- Mark 1:16-18 (NIV)

My son and I went to watch Kung Fu Panda 3 and it was a pretty good movie, with an interesting message, that just might become another post in the near future. He had a panda costume that he was excited to wear and I bought a shirt with a panda wearing sunglasses. We were ready to watch the movie!

We got to the theater, we bought our tickets, we got in line to buy popcorn, we got our drinks, and we buttered up the popcorn. Our movie experience was set!

We walked into the theater and found our seats. He opened his apple juice and I sipped my diet coke. He waited intently watching every preview and laughing when others laughed. He looked at me and said “I’m ‘cited (excited) daddy!”. I responded “Me too buddy! (In my head I heard myself say “Of course you are my son!” in Mufasa’s voice from The Lion King).

As the movie began he grabbed a handful of popcorn and looked at me with a smile. We watched the movie and enjoyed every minute.

As the movie ended, we watched the credits and gathered our trash to throw away. Then, we walked out of the theater, stood in front of the giant Kung Fu Panda 3 cardboard pop up in the lobby, and had someone take our picture. It was a great experience and we both left happy.

As I strapped my son in his car seat, I asked him he liked the movie and he responded, “mmmhmmm!” I was satisfied with a great night. I sat in the driver’s seat, started the car, getting ready to go home, when I hear from the back seat, “What’s next daddy?!”

I said, “What buddy?” He said, “What’s next?”

I laughed and replied, “Well, we had a great night, I took you to the movie, we ate popcorn, and liked the movie. So, now, it’s time to go home.” In his sweetest voice he said, “aww, otay, I want to do something else. What’s next?”

I couldn’t help but smile.

My son wanted to continue the night with me! He did not want to stop. He enjoyed our experience and kept asking, “What’s next?”

As I was driving, I jumped to the thought of my relationship with God, my heavenly Father. Do I get that excited in my experience with Him and long to know what’s next? Am I seeking to go longer with Him?

Are we?

Let’s think about this. Do we move so close with Jesus that we cannot wait to see what’s coming up for us? Do we look forward to the new day or new hour that God can reveal new things to us? Are we asking, “What’s next daddy?”

In everything we experience, God is trying to reveal His glory. He is trying to get us excited about what He has in store for us.  Yes, there are rough times, but even in those hardships God’s glory can be found and we should still be asking, “So, what’s next daddy?” with great excitement and joy.

Our journey with God can be as exciting as we allow it to be. We can hinder our growth in Him or we can maximize every opportunity by seeking where He is leading.

After every part of our journey unfolds, may we continue to ask, “So, what’s next?”

Perhaps, we will find more enthusiasm in our walk of faith and eagerness to grow closer with Christ as we wait to see what He has in store for us.

Peace and blessings friends.


QUESTION: Do you find yourself asking God “what’s next?” with enthusiasm or angst?

No comments: