Monday, February 8, 2016

Why Asking Christ For Healing and Salvation Should Lead Us To Clearer Vision


“When the two disciples heard him say this, they followed Jesus. Turning around, Jesus saw them following and asked, ‘What do you want?’ They said, ‘Rabbi (which means teacher), ‘Where are you staying?’ ‘Come,’ he replied, ‘and you will see.’”- John 1:37-39 (NIV)

Have you ever thought about when you decided to follow Jesus? I do. I often reflect on what I was like before and after Christ. I think about the words I used, the anger I held, the bitterness I carried, the thoughts about certain groups of people I had, and much more. It’s hard to do that sometimes, but it is necessary in order to keep myself balanced in remembering why I need Jesus.

The whole idea of being a new creation in Christ has always been a struggle, especially when I still have some of my old self pop up.

The one thing I truly appreciate in my journey with Christ is having my eyes opened to what God is doing around me. The idea that Christ is working in people’s lives and doing great work, with or without me, and I get to witness it is a pretty awesome thought.

I constantly watch events that occur and try to find God in the midst of it all. I keep an eye on struggles and successes and watch to see how God can be seen or glorified through it.

Trust me, sometimes it’s hard.

I wonder though, how often do we truly ask God to see what He is doing?

In Matthew 20, we see an interaction between Jesus and two blind men that could possibly shine some light on what we should be asking Jesus regularly:

“As Jesus and his disciples were leaving Jericho, a large crowd followed him. Two blind men were sitting by the roadside, and when they heard that Jesus was going by, they shouted, ‘Lord, Son of David, have mercy on us!’

The crowd rebuked them and told them to be quiet, but they shouted all the louder, ‘Lord, Son of David, have mercy on us!’

Jesus stopped and called them, ‘What do you want me to do for you?’ he asked.
‘Lord,” they answered, ‘we want our sight.”

Jesus had compassion on them and touched their eyes. Immediately they received their sight and followed him.”

That is such a great story, but such a profound statement of what we should truly want when following Christ.

It’s all well and good when we seek Jesus for healing, redemption, salvation, and hope, but should we not also be asking for sight?

When Jesus asked the blind men what they wanted from Him, their response should be ours, “we want our sight!”

We should long to see what God sees. We should long to see what God is doing around us. We should long to see people the way God sees people.

When we cry out to Christ for mercy, may we also cry out to receive our vision again.

Another idea that needs to be pointed out, through Christ’s compassion, their sight was restored. 

Through Christ’s compassion He will allow us to see what He sees so we can know how to serve Him and others better. In fact, we should be filled with joy to know that through our salvation we are able to view the world through the eyes of our Creator.

Christ wants to heal us and make us whole, but He also wants us to see.

May we seek to have our sight restored in order to see what God sees.  If your vision has been blurry, may you truly seek to have your eyes cleaned out for the glory of God.

Peace and blessings friends.


QUESTION: Have you ever asked God to give you sight?

No comments: