Monday, April 11, 2016

When Healing Doesn't Come


“The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”- Philippians 4:5-7

I wish everyone was healed when they asked for it. I wish cancer, HIV, AIDS, fibromyalgia, and other diseases didn’t exist, but when people were diagnosed with something terrible and asked for God to remove it, He would.

I hate when friends or family members are sick and I can’t do anything about it. I feel horrible when I hear of young children carrying diseases that will shorten their lifespan.

My heart hurts for these situations.

I wish I could answer why healing doesn’t always come. I can’t. I hate when I hear people who claim to be teachers of the Word who tell people, “Just have faith” or “Maybe you don’t have enough faith”. That’s bogus!

In fact, I feel like those words cause more harm than good to those who are truly seeking to understand God and why He isn’t doing something about their illness.

God uses everything for His glory- somehow. It is just hard to see it while we are going through hell on earth.
When someone is losing a child to cancer, it is important for them to be encouraged in their faith and the power of God’s healing, but perhaps there is something more important for them to know…

His peace.

God’s peace is what we should be seeking in our need for healing. Healing might not come while we are alive, but peace can be achieved. God’s faithfulness is found in His peace.

I don’t know if complete healing is ever attainable anyway. We might get rid of the disease, but there are still affects that linger. You will always remember the treatments. You will always remember the fear. You will always remember what you went through. Physical healing might be there, but the emotional and mental healing might not be.

We know and believe that Christ is the ultimate healer, which we will experience in the end of our life on earth. He will give us our new bodies, our new life, and our new home. Healing will be complete and we will be renewed in His presence.

Perhaps healing is something we should be seeking, but peace in our pain is what we should be asking for. Perhaps that peace will heal enough in our earthly experience?

I could be wrong, but I always have a hard time telling people, “You’ll be healed”, when God does not guarantee it the way we understand it. However, peace is something He guarantees if we seek it.

May we find peace in our inability to understand God’s ways. May we find rest in the fact that God is God and we are not. May we trust that His glory can be found in all of our circumstances. May we experience the peace that heals.

Peace and blessings friends.


QUESTION: Have you sought peace before seeking healing?

No comments: